Saturday, April 28, 2012

Bacon Mushroom & Couscous Stuffed Peppers with BBQ Broth



  OK, I haven't been keeping up on my blogging lately and I feel HORRIBLE.  I keep forgetting to take pictures of the things I'm cooking, and once I remember I'm almost ready to serve it up!  So I decided to put my creativity into high gear the other day and try to make something different yet familiar for all of you.   Now, I love stuffed peppers and I've been craving them for a while now.  They are pure comfort food for me, especially how my Omi makes them...but the Hubby does not!  I've tried to make them all types of different ways, but still similar (with rice, with pasta, with meat, mixed, veggies, tomato sauce, tomato soup etc...) But it was still a thumbs down for him.  I started researching online the different types of things people will stuff their peppers with.  Most of them were the same as above, or they take more of a Mediterranean twist with things like goat cheese and currants, all of which he will refuse to eat.  I remembered that we had just bought some bacon and a new brand of BBQ sauce that is Pretty Tastey and then...A light went off and I realized I had a few Ideas up my sleeve.



 Bacon will be eaten in almost any form by him, and I personally thing bacon and mushrooms is a perfect combination.  Then If you throw BBQ Sauce some how into the mix and there is a party on your tongue!  I decided to mixed all these things together with some couscous and stuff the peppers with this concoction and It sounded delicious.  The problem with Couscous in my opinion is that usually, it needs some sort of sauce or it can be sort of dry.  I knew BBQ Sauce would be perfect, but to pour a thick sauce on top of such a tender pepper seemed like it would be too much.  So why not thin it out with some broth and make it oh so delicate.  This dish is extremely simple and something that your really cant screw up...unless you burn the bacon.  If your in the mood for something different, you have go to whip these up!



Bacon, Mushroom & Couscous Stuffed Pepper with BBQ Broth

* 4 Bell Peppers 
* 6 Strips of Bacon
* 1 Large Onion
* 1 Crate of Mushrooms
* 1 Cup Couscous
* Pepper Jack Cheese (any cheese or optional)
* 4 TBSP BBQ Sauce
* 1 Cup Broth


Printable Recipe


1) Remove Core from Peppers.  Cut in Peppers in half (optional) and place in baking pan with sides and spoon a little broth or water into pan.  Bake @ 375* for 10 minutes 
(Optional: with water or broth covering the bottom of the pan.  Cover with tinfoil optional.)


2) Cook Bacon and remove from pan and let cool.  Break into pieces.



3) Dice up your mushrooms into small pieces, then add to melted butter (or bacon grease if your not shy) and cook mushrooms until they are browned but has yet to release their liquids. Then Remove from pan.








4) Dice and Saute Half the onion in butter (or more Bacon Grease if your really not shy) until caramelized,  Turn burner to high, then add your 1 cup of Couscous and toast quickly (1-2 minutes).








5)  Cover Couscous with 1 1/2 cups water and Bring to a Boil.  Turn burner off and cover pot.  Leave it alone for 5 minutes or until all water is gone from couscous.  Fluff your couscous with a fork.






6)  Add your Bacon and Mushrooms to the couscous and stir to combine.


7)  Remove Peppers from Oven.  Using a Large spoon or Icecream scooper, Fill Peppers with your couscous mixture.  Cover with Pepper Jack Cheese (optional or use a different cheese).  Place Back into the oven Until Cheese has melted.  


8)  Dice and Saute the 2nd half of the onion.  Once the onions are translucent, add 4 TBSP of BBQ Sauce and Stir so It doesnt burn.  












9)  Add 1 cup of Broth and stir to combine.  Bring to a bubble then turn burner down to low until peppers are ready. 












10)  Pour the BBQ Broth over Peppers and sit down to eat them up.
  












I hope you all like these!  We thought they were DELICIOUS!


1 comment: