Wednesday, May 2, 2012

French Onion Soup with Bacon and Potatoes



Its been raining and super windy lately here in South Florida.  So I thought a little soup would make us feel a little better about our sunshine MIA lately.  My Aunt has THE BEST French onion soup recipe.  So I felt like making it up.  The problem was that the Beer Bread that I made the other went beyond being stale.  It was just funky.  So in the trash it went, and onto being creative I had to be.  I had a HUGE bag of potatoes that I bought on sale last week (total impulse) that I just have to start using up.  So I thought to myself, how about I use the potatoes in place of the croutons that I use for french onion soup.  I thought it could totally work, especially because my Hubby could seriously survive on potatoes.  But then, I remembered I have some nice thick cut bacon in the fridge that has been screaming at me to either use or freeze, so I decided to throw it into the mix and oh boy am I happy I did...




 I got so many "wow, this is amazing" from Mr. Picky.  He told me that, although he loves my Aunt Marinas French Onion Soup, He thinks this soup makes her soup seem boring now!  It really was delicous, almost too delicious because before I could get my second bowl, he had finished to pot!  Which is why, I am doubling the recipe for you all.  It just needs to be done!  Lets get cooking...


French Onion Soup with Bacon and Potatoes

Printable Recipe

* 8 cups Beef Broth
* 4-6 TBSP Worcestershire
* 6-8 Strips of Bacon
* Butter
* 2-4 Large Onions (depending on how many onions you like)
* 2-4 Med-Lg Potatoes
* Cheese for topping optional (Pepper Jack, Swiss, Provolone, Parmesan, etc...)





1) Cook up your bacon and remove from pan.  Let cool and then crumble or chop (this is for toppings)




2) Chop your onion however you like it in your onion soup.  We like short slices of them, so I cut them in half and then cut the half in half.











3) Saute Your Onions into the Bacon Grease and Butter mixture or one or the other.  Whichever your choose will be fine.

4) Add 1 TBSP Worcestershire to the onions and let cook down and turn your onions brown.









5) Chop your Potatoes (with or without the skins) into cubes.












6) Once onions are ready, Slowly add your 8 cups Beef Broth and 5-6 TBSP Worcestershire and stir.  Bring to a boil.









7)  Turn your Burner down to low and add your cubed potatoes.  Cover and simmer for 10 minues or until your potatoes are soft.

8)  Cover soup with cheese and brown in the broiler or just serve it as is with bacon sprinkled on top!






No comments:

Post a Comment